About half an hour after I got home I had the first servo running, only to discover that actually I didn't know how to stop it... I was so surprised that it worked it took me a little while to remember to wire in a switch.
The button will also be replaced by a slider switch so that I can turn the dragon on and off properly rather than having to re-enable it each time it cycles through the main loop program.
The circuits in this photo have been rigorously tested by a 3 year old who found the concept of pressing a button and having things spin fascinating for about an hour. I figure if it can survive that, I'm on the right path.
My only issue so far is that the tower-pro servos are incredibly noisy - I think for a lot of the more important servos I will have to invest in better quality servos which have metal gears instead of plastic so that they are more accurate and less loud.